Do I need to sign up for Medicare Part A and Part B?

If you're already receiving benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board (RRD), you're under age 65 and disabled, or you've been diagnosed with ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease), you'll automatically receive your Medicare ID card in the mail.

You'll need to sign up for Part A and Part B if you:

  • Aren't getting Social Security or Railroad benefits (for example, if you are still working and continue employer coverage you may not need to enroll in Part B). (What if I'm still working?)
  • Get Medicare because you have end-stage renal disease (permanent kidney failure).